Sunday, February 26, 2017

Polyphia – LIT




Audiovisual onomatopoeia of some highly tuned-in, full-blast, intricate, high-bandwidth feels. Energy sketching with the latest in tools and cutting-edge inspiration. A feast and a challenge for a (relatively) old guy like me to take in. (Besides my age [32 Sols], I was raised mostly on music that was either upwards of a hundred years old or exhibited a clear, tightly-buttoned-down lack of groove. I only started freely listening to whatever I actually wanted when I was 23.)

These kids are amazing. The band released its first studio album in 2015. We’re talking demigod-level talent and creativity. If this is the direction music is taking, I’m all for it!

The whole genre is new to me:


“Djent is a style of progressive metal, named for an onomatopoeia for the distinctive high-gain, distorted, palm-muted, low-pitch guitar sound first employed by Meshuggah and SikTh. Typically, the word is used to refer to music that makes use of this sound, to the sound itself, or to the scene that revolves around it.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djent

The song in the video is “LIT, a remix of the song Light, the second track on Renaissance. The remix presents melodic guitar and bass tracks over an EDM beat, presenting the mixture of their genre and their inspiration of Rap and Hip-Hop.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphia

I stumbled upon this video through the Facebook timeline of another artist, Beyond Infinity, whose work I discovered by searching YouTube for “progressive ambient metal” just on impulse to see what turned up. He’s a no less talented one-man band with some daring, fresh material that has teased and expanded my sensibilities as I’ve listened. So good.

Stay lit up inside, friends, and don’t forget to party!

No comments:

Post a Comment